Monday, January 16, 2006

Zamora Petitions Challenged.

I've now heard several rumors about this challenge to Ruben Zamora, candidate for IL CD 14. None of my rumor-mongering friends avoid a connection to his primary opponent, John Laesch. And none are very damned happy about it, either.

I received this email from Ruben yesterday:

Dear Friends and Supporters,

Tommorrow we celebrate the birth of Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. He inspired me as a young man and still does today. I will forever be indebted to him and his legacy.

I hope you and your family take a moment to remember this great man.

Challenged!
Yes, I have been challenged. It did not come from Hastert's campaign... I have already been to Chicago twice and am expecting at least two more visits. I have retained the best lawyer and we will prevail. The challenge is premeditated, but I will not step aside, nor will I give up the fight.

I made a promise to the voters of this district and I intend to stay on the ballot and fulfill that promise, namely, to run an issues-oriented campaign. I have instructed my staff to stay on task and we will let the judicial system take care of the rest.
I am need of help, not only to help pay for my lawyer, but also to print campaign materials and run my "temporary" office.

I am planning to be in Chicago this week and will fill you in on the results. Despite rumors to the contrary, I and my campaign are up and running, and look forward to attending forums, debates, and other events in the district. If your group would like to meet me, please contact me ASAP because my schedule is filling up quickly.

Please be sure to attend:
1. Candidates Forum
January 16, 2006
7:00 - 9:00pm
Bartlett Community Center
701 South Bartlett Road - Bartlett

2. An Open Discussion with Senator Obama on his work in the U.S. Senate
Tuesday, Jan. 17, 2006 @ 10:30 a.m.
College of DuPage - McAninch Arts Center - mainstage
Glen Ellyn, IL 60137
Parking will be available in Lot O on College Road
(I may not be there)

3.Aurora Democratic Party, Monday January 23rd, 7:00 p.m. at the Mexican Driving School located at 73 S. LaSalle

4. Zamora "New Year Party" Fundraiser
January 28th, Sandwich, IL 6-9 PM
900 Church Street (Route 34)
???630-859-1030, 630-786-3037

I will update this update soon!
Continued thanks from my campaign to you.
Ruben


Doesn't look good to me. Zamora confirms the rumor that the challenge was planned. That's been consistent with what everyone has shared with me. Most believe that the challenge is not coming directly from Laesch, but at the direction of people who are working for him, in an effort to challenge party leaders throughout the district to escalate their rhetoric or step aside.

Laesch already comes off as kind of a smartass kid, so I'm not sure this is a good tactic.

If you can make one of the Zamora events, please do. It would be nice to hear from those who attend, either by email or in the comments. You can post anonymously, of course, if you like, although anonymous comments are probably not treated as seriously as those signed by the author.

No comments: