Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Why I Don't Shop at Wal-Mart

It's not an "anti-retail" rail I'm on today. I've been in business all my life, and I pretty well know right from wrong. Being raised a Baptist will do that.

I could just say bad things about Wal-Mart because Denny "J. Dennis" Hastert flies home on their private corporate jets for free (well, we're not aware of any quid pro quo, anyway). But that would be guilt by association, and we know that's wrong. You can't make Wal-Mart bad because they're good to a corrupt back-room dealer like Hastert.

I could have stopped shopping Wal-Mart forever when they fired all the meat cutters who wanted to organize their own collective bargaining unit, and closed their butcher shops in favor of selling pre-packaged meats produced by less-safe regional packing houses.

I decided to draw the line, finally, when it became known that Wal-Mart was not only employing exploitive practices with undocumented workers, but was doing it on an institutional level (note: I refer to it as an institutional practice when 700 of a company's 3,000 stores do it).

When the story broke, Wal-Mart hid behind the subcontracting firms they entrusted with the scheme. What's worse, it took a two-year investigation by federal authorities, which looked back over five-years by the time the charges were filed to make Wal-Mart come clean.

See, in my book, that's bad. And don't think it didn't have something to do with skin color; not one Canadian was rounded up in the 2003 raid.

Makes you wonder: Why does Denny "J. Dennis" Hastert hate Mexicans and love Wal-Mart?

No comments: