Sunday, October 09, 2005

Can't Wait: Good Night, and Good Luck.

I know I can't be the only one getting excited about the release of the Warner Independent film "Good Night, and Good Luck." From the screening I've just seen, I can say that it is wonderfully cast and acted. I've heard a number of people whine already, though, that this is another Liberal George Clooney thing. Nothing could be further from reality.

The accurate reporting of the basic facts -- and freedom of the press -- impact every person on the planet. Murrow's story is not a Liberal hero's story. His reportage and dogged pursuit of the truth in the McCarthy hearings resulted in an historic victory for television news, but also lionized and broke him at the same time.

A good reading of Murrow's biography is in order for anyone who wants to see the movie.

No comments: